Sunday, December 7, 2008

Some Sunday evening thoughts...


1. If you ever get the chance to try coffee direct from Hawaii, that stuff is amazing. I was over at my Grandma's house this evening for dinner, and she had a jar of coffee that she got from Hawaii the last time she was over there (which was a few months ago). You'd think that a-few-months-old coffee wouldn't be all that great, but this was probably one of the top 5 best coffees I've ever tasted. Smooth and flavorful...just amazing. I've still got a bunch if anyone doesn't believe me.

2. Missouri will be playing in the Alamo Bowl vs. Northwestern. Not exactly a marquee matchup...but since when was Missouri a marquee team? They DID lose almost every game they played against a respectable opponent (Oklahoma State, Texas, Kansas, Oklahoma). The only midly decent wins they had were against Illinois (whom then ranked, have since proven to be not much of a contender in 2008) and Nebraska (who we beat for the Big XII North title by virtue of the head-to-head tiebreaker). I'm not too excited about this game...but I'm sure I'll watch it anyways. Northwestern is still a solid opponent, as I'm sure Northwestern would say about Missouri. Obviously, though, both programs have their issues...and are thus not in major bowl games.

3. As I was looking at old pictures of my dad and grandma this evening, I was reminded that yes...these ARE the source of my genes. I look nearly identical to my dad when he was my age.

4. I sure hope that the Cardinals acquire some help during the Winter meetings. I was reading Derrick Goold's article in the newspaper and two names that struck me as intriguing were J.J. Putz and Huston Street. Either of these guys would be a nice short-term upgrade at the closer position. Low risk, due to the short-term nature of their contracts. It'd also be nice to acquire a starter in a trade with someone...ideally with one of the teams that either Putz or Street play for. Perhaps a package of...say...Francis & Street...or...Bedard & Putz.

5. I'm firmly convinced that the television station "Versus" shows the movie "Bloodsport" at least once a day. Mind you, there's nothing wrong with that. Bloodsport is a fantastic movie.

No comments: